Archives of St Mary Hall
A larger proportion of the records of St. Mary Hall has survived than is usual for Oxford academic halls, probably because Oriel had always owned the buildings, and most of the Principals of the Hall were also Fellows of the College.
The records include Principal's log books 1764-1899, buttery books 1715-1874, battels accounts 1773-1898, and papers relating to the Dyke Trust for scholarships 1730-1891.
[Records of St Mary Hall – SMH]
Sources for Family History
Two Journals with outline records of the term by term life of the Hall 1833-1899 generally record the arrival and departure of students. Philip Bliss [Principal 1848-1857] made brief biographical notes about members of the Hall from the sixteenth century onwards and these occasionally have some useful information. However, it should be stressed that the material available is scanty at best; only occasionally is there anything beyond the details held in the University Archives and outlined in the following publications, all by Joseph Foster:
Alumni Oxonienses: the members of the University of Oxford, 1500-1714 (London, 1891)
Alumni Oxonienses: the members of the University of Oxford, 1715-1886 (London, 1888)
Oxford men and their colleges, 1880-1892 (Oxford, 1893)