Mr Marcel Stolz
I am a DPhil candidate in Cyber Security.
Previous degrees and places of study:
- MSc in Computer Science, University of Bern (Switzerland)
- BSc in Computer Science (Minor: Musicology), University of Bern (Switzerland)
- Stipend of the Czech government for a research term in Czech music at the Charles University in Prague (CZ)
As a Swiss citizen, I got sensitised to security and defensive matters in my military service. Having become an officer (first lieutenant), I continued my compulsory service in our electronic operations unit. During my Bachelor’s and Master’s studies at the University of Bern, I gained insights into political work as member of the university’s TUX party, discussing topics such as privacy. Thereafter, I worked with Swisscom, Switzerland’s national phone operator, in the Big Data Mobility Insights Squad.
My current interest lies in combining my technical knowledge with my interest in politics and experience in military leadership. I explore governance aspects of cyber security, both on an enterprise and (inter)national level.
In April 2017, I was featured in an article in the NZZ, a major Swiss newspaper, which portrayed my military background and personal fields of interest: https://www.nzz.ch/schweiz/schweizer-offizier-der-cyber-krieger-ld.1287654
My main research interests are:
- National and Enterprise Cyber Governance
- National and Enterprise Cyber Defence Strategy
- Enterprise Cyber Risk Assessment and Management.