Weddings at Oriel

Members of the Oriel community are welcome to enquire about a wedding service in the Chapel.

Please contact the Chaplain between nine and twelve months in advance of the proposed date of the service. He will be pleased to discuss the possibility. A wedding is a public service and would normally take place in your local parish church in the community of which you are a part. Chapel weddings are at the discretion of the Chaplain who will require a letter from your local vicar. There is also a legal process to obtain permission – a 'Special Licence' – from the Archbishop of Canterbury to be married somewhere other than your parish church.

Please be advised that a date will not be confirmed more than a year in advance. Availability is dependent on the Chapel schedule, academic and conference diaries. Weddings are generally not possible at Christmas, Easter, or late August/early September.

Weddings are conducted according to the rites of the Church of England.

It is possible for public rooms in the College to be hired for drinks after the service or for a wedding reception. To learn more, please contact the Chaplain.

Useful information about planning a church wedding can be found here.