The programme includes information about admissions tests, the chance to see two mock interviews, lunch and a college tour. Teachers also have the time to informally meet students, tutors and staff at Oriel College over tea and cake. The conference is free of charge to all attendees. The day usually looks like this:
- Oxford Admissions overview: An Introduction to Oxford Undergraduate Admissions
- The Application (for those new to Oxford Admissions): Personal Statements, Teachers' References and Admissions Tests
- Tutor and Teacher Admissions roundtable: For those experienced in Oxford Admissions
- Lunch with Oriel Students: Provided free of charge in Oriel's Dining Hall
- College Tour: Including the opportunity to see a student room
- Student Q&A Panel: Students answer questions on topics ranging from the application process to student life at Oriel
- Mock Interviews: The chance to see two - one in sciences and one in humanities
- Tutor Roundtable: Representatives from the range of subjects that we teach at Oriel
Feedback from the 2015 Teachers Conference
All attendees ticked that they would “recommend the event to a colleague” and that “the event helped them understand what their students need to do to make a competitive application to Oxford.”
What attendees said:
“In talking with others it was nice to see that the commonality of all the students is a mindset, so background, origin or circumstances are arbitrary factors in the selection process.”
"By having both undergrads and tutors, got a clear impression of different styles and value of tutorials.”
“I came here to get a feel for how effective the current provision is at my school and how it can be improved. I got a lot from the day and have a lot of plans to implement as a result!”
“Very friendly, approachable and informative speakers; both staff, tutors and students. Would fully recommend.”
Priority is given to teachers from state, non-selective schools, especially in Oriel's linked local authorities of Dudley, Kensington and Chelsea, Richmond upon Thames, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Worcestershire.
Bookings for the 2017 conference are now closed. Information about next year's conference will be available later in 2017, and this page will be updated with the new information.
If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact our Outreach Officer India at email@example.com.