Oriel College does not tolerate any form of harassment or victimisation and expects all members of the College community, its visitors and contractors to treat each other with respect, courtesy and consideration. The College is committed to fostering an inclusive culture which promotes equality, values diversity and maintains a working, learning and social environment in which the rights and dignity of all members of the College community are respected.
Any member of the College community who feels they have been subject to harassment can contact a College Harassment Advisor for support.
Martin is Turpin Junior Research Fellow in Philosophy and a College Harassment Advisor.
Ian is a Fellow and Tutor in History, and a College Harassment Advisor.
The following members of Oriel College have harassment advisor training and are available to offer support.
The Harassment Advisor can:
- Listen to staff and students who believe they are being harassed, to clarify the options open to them and to assist them in resolving the matter informally where possible
- Provide similar support to those accused of harassment
- Where requested, support individuals throughout the resolution of their concerns. This may include discussing with the individual what they may wish to say or write to the person who they feel has harassed or bullied them or to a senior member of staff who can take action. The aim is to empower and support the individual
- Deal with all cases with the utmost confidentiality except in cases where there is an unacceptable risk to a member of staff, student or to the institution
The Harassment Advisor cannot:
- Make statements to the effect that a particular behaviour definitely constitutes harassment that will lead to disciplinary action, or to the effect that a particular behaviour is NOT harassment
- Approach the alleged harasser in an attempt to mediate or resolve the matter for you
- Act as your representative or advocate
- Be involved in any formal stage of the process, be it in writing the formal complaint, the investigation, disciplinary or grievance procedures, except by way of giving you the support you need during this time